The new federal regulation known as the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) will become effective January 1, 2017. This regulation will affect antibiotics administered in the feed or mineral for all food animal species, even if the animals are not intended for food production. Medications in the water will require a prescription.
A Veterinary-Client-Patient Relationship (VCPR) must be established before a VFD can be written for your operation.
A VCPR states that:
- A Veterinarian has assumed the responsibility for making medical judgements regarding the health of the animal(s) and the need for medical treatment, and the clent (the owner of the animal(s) or other caretaker) has agreed to follow the instructions of the veterinarian.
- There is sufficient knowledge of the animal(s) by the veterinarian to initiate at least a general or preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal(s).
- The practicing veterinarian is readily available for follow-up in case of adverse reactions or failure of the regimen of therapy.
Expiration date of a VFD is the time period the feed must be fed and must be what is on the label or if not on label the expiration date is a maximum of 6 months. NO EXTRA LABEL DRUG USE….cannot change the dose or duration, cannot use in different species/production class than on label, cannot use for an indication that is not on the label.
What we need from you:
2. Working email address
3. Address feed stored or mixed
4. Business Address
5. Name of VFD drug used
6. Combonation Drugs
7. Number of Animal
8. Production class of Animals
9. Weight of Animals
10. Feed tickets if possible
11. Feed Distributor Address
12. Feed Distributor email address
13. Feed Distributor phone number
As a Client, a Producer MUST:
-only feed animal feed bearing or containing a VFD drug or a combination VFD drug (a VFD feed or combination VFD feed) to animals based on a VFD issued by a licensed veterinarian;
-not feed a VFD feed or a combination VFD feed to animals after the expiration date on the VFD;
-Provide a copy of the VFD order to the feed distributor if the issuing veterinarian sends the distributor copy of the VFD through you, the client;
-Maintain a copy of the VFD order for a minimum of 2 years; and provide VFD orders for inspection and coping by FDA upon request.
Please call (785)-325-2391 or set up an appointment if you have any questions.